Last year I attended a tweetup and met Social Media Expert Linsday Fultz of middlechildnewmedia.com. Meeting Lindsay was the highlight of the evening for me. I learned so much from her in just a short period of time.
Lindsay was quick to tell me how important it was that I get on Google + and make myself active everyday. It was great advice however I couldn’t help thinking this was yet another site to add to my to do list. I listened though and I have seen results because of it.
You may be wondering: Why care about Google +? First and foremost it’s powered by Google!
Initially there were 40 million users and that number has quickly risen to 400 million with 100 million active users. I found it interesting that a lot of celebrities are actually using it as well.
At first you could only have your personal page but then they rolled out the business page option which allowed you to have more connections with other businesses. That’s one of the features I like most about it. I can add different businesses to my circle and when I make a post it can go out to all my circles or whichever ones I choose. A great feature in my opinion. For me it seems like a better way to connect with businesses as opposed to Facebook. Recently I have been seeing more businesses “advertising” their Google + pages.
Users can +1 (or in other words, endorse) the updates a company publishses on their site. These plus ones or endorsments are extremely important for a business. You have the option of leaving comments, uploading photos and tagging people in them as well.
And with the “Hangout” features companies have a new way of engaging their fans and prospective customers. Using this video feature truly sets you apart because you are now connecting in a more personal way.
Here are 9 Facts About Google + Pages and Your Business You Need to Know:
• Pages can’t add people to Circles until the page is added first or mentioned.
• Pages can be made for a variety of different entities, whereas profiles can
only be made for people.
• The default privacy setting for elements on your business page is public.
• Google+ Pages automatically unfollow you if you unfollow them.
• Pages can’t +1 other pages, nor can they +1 content on the web.
• Pages don’t receive notifications via email, text, or in the Google bar.
• Pages don’t have the option to share to ‘Extended Circles.’
• Local pages have special fields that help people find the business’ physical
• Google+ Pages can’t even mention you unless you’re connected. In my opion that encourages you to connect with others.
There are so many other intersting fact about Google + but for now I’ll ask: Do you have a Google + page? if so let’s connect!
P.S. We will be continuing this disucssion in later posts so check back often!
Toni Nelson – Savvy Entrepreneur
Author, Award Winning Photographer & Videographer, Online Visibility Strategist