8 Things To Look For When Choosing Cloud Storage
The other day I was standing in line at Home Depot and saw a magazine talking about the “cloud”. As I stood there it made me think about online storage.
As an award winning photographer and videographer I have massive files and have thought about cloud storage.
Have you ever thought about using some kind of online storage?
It could be a great option for you and would free up space on your hard drive. The other benefit is that it could help you stay organized. That’s always a plus!
There are two services you may have heard of and they are Box.com and Dropbox. You can find “cloud” storage from Apple as well as other places.
There are 8 things you need to consider when looking for your online storage.
1) Check the amount of space they are going to give you. Initially it may seem like you’ll have a sufficient amount but as time goes on that could change.
2) What are their sharing capabilities? Can you share with team members if you are using it for business? If it’s personal use you may want the ability to share it with your family.
3) If you delete a file can it be retrieved. Accidents do happen.
4) What are the file types they support?
5) Can the files be accessed on mobile devices? This can come in handy if you are using the storage for business. If you are able to access files on your ipad or other device that could save you from using a bulky lap top.
6) Do they offer technical support? When something goes wrong do you have access to someone that can help?
7) Security is important as well so you want to make sure there is password protection.
8) Do they offer backup services? Even though you are storing your information on the “cloud” you want to make sure you not going to suffer any type of data loss.
There are options where you can store information for free up to a certain amount. After that you have to pay. Make sure you are aware of the amount you will be charged so there aren’t any surprises.
You will also want to consider the features the storage company is offering. If you are storing personal files, photos etc your needs may be different than storing business files. In that case you may want features like the ability to sync, restore deleted files, protect files and more.
If you plan on using the online storage for videos make sure they support that format.
When looking for online storage you want to it to be easy to access and use. One of the best features they could offer is the ability to drop and drag files.
Once you start placing your information on the “cloud” you want to make sure you can easily search for your files.
Earlier I mentioned technical support. You want to also make sure they offer customer service via email, chat or telephone support.
These are just a few guidelines you should follow when it comes to choosing the right place to upload your information.
Have you looked into cloud storage?
Leave your thoughts and comments below.
Be Savvy and Successful!